GRP Misting tanks
Nicholson Plastics offer a wide selection of water storage solutions, including fire suppression and misting tanks.
Misting systems use high-pressure mist to remove two of the three elements which are needed for a fire to spread and grow oxygen & heat. A water mist system uses very fine water spray which when actioned in a fire controls, suppresses and/or extinguishes the fire by cooling both the flame and surrounding gases by evaporation.
Misting systems use specially designed nozzles with high water pressure to create a mist which acts similar to a gaseous fire pretention system.
How do misting systems work?
The cooling power of Mist Systems is based on the process of atomizing water droplets to a size that can quickly evaporate. Water is forced through a specially designed high-pressure nozzle to create an ultra-fine fog that quickly absorbs heat and cools surrounding air as it evaporates.
Benefits of misting system fire protection:
- The mist can extinguish a fire in shielded and obstructed locations.
- The larger the surface area, the more effective the system becomes in quickly reducing temperature and oxygen at the flame front.
- Immediate activation
- High efficiency in the suppression of a wide variety of fires
- Minimized water damage
- Environmentally sound characteristics
- No toxic problems
Misting tank options:
- Tank dividers (across or along) may be provided to ensure a constant supply of water while cleaning the second chamber in the tank
- GRP internal ladder
- Protective hand-railing for around the perimeter of the tank or around the perimeter of the manhole
- May be supplied with internally flanged or externally flanged panels
Misting systems are an extremely effective fire protection medium that significantly reduces asset damage and operational downtime in all business-critical applications.
British standards for water mist systems
Outlined by BAFSA in the UK;
- BS 8458:2015 Fixed fire protection systems. Residential and domestic water mist systems. Code of practice for design and installation
- BS 8489-1 2016 Fixed fire protection systems. Industrial and commercial water mist systems. Part 1: Code of practice for design and installation
- The BS 8489 series includes the following standards:
- BS 8489-4 Fixed fire protection systems. Industrial and commercial water mist systems. Fire performance tests and requirements for water mist systems for local applications involving flammable liquid fires
- BS 8489-5 Fixed fire protection systems. Industrial and commercial water mist systems. Fire performance tests and requirements for water mist systems for the protection of combustion turbines and machinery spaces with volumes up to and including 80 m3
- BS 8489-6 Fixed fire protection systems. Industrial and commercial water mist systems. Fire performance tests and requirements for water mist systems for the protection of industrial oil cookers.
- BS 8489-7 Fixed fire protection systems. Industrial and commercial water mist systems. Tests and requirements for water mist systems for the protection of low hazard occupancies.
FIRE SUPPRESSION QUERY?
Why work with us?
Over 50 years’ industry experience
Projects completed in the last 24 months
Nicholson Plastics is a UK GRP Water Storage Tank Manufacturer with a proven track record in the supply of water tanks to all industry sectors throughout the UK. We have an expert team on hand with over 50 Years' industry experience. Our team works hard to provide exceptional industry lead times from quotes, site visits, order processing, and delivery. We are a British Standard approved company with full certification through BSI/ISO9001 including WRAS approved certified products for potable drinking water.
- Over 50 years of technical knowledge
- Quality assurance at a local level
- UK customer support teams, backup, replacement service & advice
- Supporting local and sustaining UK manufacturing
- Regional sales representatives for site visits, emergency water requirements, and project advice